I wanted to share Carisix’s Gap Analysis steps and document, since they did such a great job.
The information is easy to understand. Take a moment and review, but here are the 4 steps.
- Obtain Vendor Documentation
- Obtain Customer Spec and/or Log
- Document Gaps
- Deliver Specs
From their website:
Whatever your approach, you want answers to the following questions so you can identify gaps related to messages:
1. Does the destination system handle all of the message types from the sending system?
2. Are there any differences between the message structures in each system? If so, what are they?
3. Are there any mandatory data elements on one side that are optional on the other? If so, what are they?
4. Do both systems use the same code sets? Are they the same values? Which values do I need to map?
5. Do both systems specify the same maximum length of characters for data fields?
6. What z-segments are in use?
7. Is the data semantically consistent? In other words, does the meaning or significance of an element always match across both systems?
8. What are the requirements for encryption or de-identification, usage restrictions, and HIPAA compliance related to confidential information?
Download Caristix’s gap analysis template: http://caristix.com/blog/2013/02/hl7-survival-guide-chapter-7-gap-analysis/